Persistent hand pain can hinder you from doing daily activities with ease. Hand pain can make even the simplest tasks difficult and affect your quality of life.
When hand pain strikes, seeking a specialist to diagnose and treat the problem effectively is crucial. That’s where an orthopaedic hand surgeon comes in!
Here are 5 reasons for you to see a hand surgeon for your hand pain or other conditions affecting your hands. Read on to learn more about how these skilled professionals can help restore function and reduce pain in one of our most essential body parts – our hands!
What does a Hand surgeon do?
The Hand surgeon is a medical professional specialising in treating conditions affecting the hands, wrists, and forearms. These surgeons are trained to diagnose and treat many problems that can cause pain and discomfort and limit movement and functionality.
Hand surgeons may work with patients suffering from fractures or dislocations caused by accidents or falls. They also treat conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, arthritis, tendonitis, nerve injuries, and Dupuytren’s contracture.
In addition to diagnosing these issues via physical examinations and x-rays/MRI scans when necessary – a Hand surgeon will recommend appropriate treatments depending on the seriousness and duration of the problem, which may include medication for inflammation/pain relief or surgery if needed.
These specialised Hand surgeons have extensive knowledge regarding surgical techniques for repairing damaged joints/ligaments/tendons/bones in the hands/wrists/forearms while minimising scarring/discomfort post-op.
The Hand surgeon helps restore function to your hand so you can regain independence with day-to-day tasks without pain.
5 reasons to see a hand surgeon
If you are experiencing hand pain or discomfort, it might be time to see a hand surgeon. Here are five reasons why visiting a Hand surgeon is a wise choice:
- Hand Injuries: If you have suffered from a traumatic hand injury, such as fractures, dislocations or tendon lacerations, then seeing a specialist in hand surgery can provide the best treatment options.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: This condition occurs typically when the median nerve that runs through your wrist becomes compressed, leading to numbness and tingling in your hands and fingers. A hand surgeon specialising in treating carpal tunnel syndrome in Dubai can help alleviate these symptoms.
- Arthritis: If arthritic changes have developed within the joints of your fingers and wrists, causing severe pain or deformity, then seeing an experienced hand surgeon for evaluation and treatment is essential.
- Trigger Finger: A common condition where one finger gets stuck when bending due to inflammation of tendons with thickening around them could also benefit from surgical intervention by an expert like Dr Robert.
- Tumors or Growths on Your Hands: Unusual growths on your hands may require removal if they interfere with function or cause discomfort during daily activities, which, again, only experts like Dr Robert would handle with utmost care.
By seeking out specialised care from an orthopaedic hand surgeon like Dr Robert for any of these conditions, patients will gain access to advanced diagnostic tools and expert treatments that can effectively reduce their symptoms while restoring normal range of motion so that they can resume their day-to-day routine without much trouble.
How to know you need a hand surgeon?
The main symptoms you might want to see a hand surgeon are:
- Hand pain that lasts more than a few days
- Restricted range of motion or stiffness in the hand, wrist and/or fingers
- Weakened grip or difficulty carrying bags, using tools, or writing
- Constant tingling or numbness in the fingers or hands
- Joint pain that gets worse on vacation
- Loss of muscle tone
- Does not respond to home treatment such as rest and ice packs
Some symptoms may indicate a severe condition, such as a fracture or dislocation, and require prompt treatment to prevent the problem from worsening or becoming permanent. Consult an orthopaedic doctor for the following symptoms:
- Severe arm or hand pain
- Swelling in hand or wrist
- Obvious deformity (even if slowly developing)
- Inability to move your wrist or fingers normally
- Pain, redness, or swelling that gets worse
- Signs of infection, such as fever or redness around the wrist or hand
Visit Professor Dr Robert Hierner - the skilled Hand surgeon
If you are experiencing any hand pain or discomfort, seeking medical attention as soon as possible is essential. By visiting a skilled orthopaedic hand surgeon like Professor Dr Robert Hierner, you can receive the proper diagnosis and treatment plan for your condition.
Professor Robert Hierner is a skilled Hand surgeon in Dubai with extensive experience treating various hand conditions. He uses state-of-the-art technology and innovative techniques to provide personalised care that meets each patient’s unique needs.
Don’t let the hand pain affect your quality of life any longer. Schedule an appointment with Dr Robert today and take the first step toward healing your hands!