Resection-Suspension Arthroplasty of the CMC I Joint according to EATON-LITTLER)
This is the most common form of hand surgery. It involves complete removal of the trapezium and suspension of the first metacarpal bone with a tendon loop in order to avoid shortening of the thumb.
Our hand specialist Prof Dr Robert Hierner is highly skilled in this field and ensures meticulous and very stringent procedures of hand surgery in Dubai. This includes his specific and result-oriented resection treatment.
Patient with moderate arthritic changes at the Carpometacarpal (CMC) joints and no adequate pain relief by conservative treatment.
In clinical practice, a detailed examination is carried out first to understand the following factors;
1) What bothers you
2) What are your expectations
3) Previous therapeutic measures of arthrosis treatment, including pain therapy
4) General health
5) Lifestyle (sports)
5) Lifestyle (sports)
6) Quality of the skin
9) Handedness and occupation
The joints to be treated in the hand area are discussed and marked with the patient
Get An Appointment
With proper technique: rare incidences of bleeding, impaired sensibility, impaired wound healing, or infection may occur.
No specific preparation is needed.
Procedure can be done as a day surgery case under (subaxillary) arm block, or general anaesthesia.
It starts with resectioning the trapezium bone. To avoid any sagging of the thumb, the basis of the first metacarpal bone is suspended with a tendon to the basis of the 2nd metacarpal bone. There is a wide spectrum of recommended operative techniques for the suspension.
- Antibiotics: single shot
- Pain medication: Arcoxia 90 – 120 mg 1-0-0 for 10 days
- Positioning: hand at heart level
- Immobilisation of thumb is necessary for 6 weeks. Mobilization of the other fingers as soon as possible (daily live activities, driving a car, …)
- Removal of sutures 10 – 14 days after surgery
- X-ray control 6 weeks after surgery
- Keep stress on the treated hand less than 10 kg for 6 weeks, but no restriction after 12 weeks.
- Intensive physiotherapy is needed to increase mobility and power
Significant improvement of the overall function of the hand by restoring the thumb function through good pain reduction, improvement of strength, and improvement of aesthetics.
It is one of the best operations, with very few changes in the last 50 years. It offers good pain reduction, good global hand function, and long-lasting results.
If you are looking for an efficient hand surgery specialist in Dubai,
This patient information only gives a general introduction for a better understanding of aesthetic and medical surgeries. It cannot replace the personal and detailed doctor-patient discussion. To answer your questions about your personal, individual situation, arrange your non-binding personal consultation appointment.